• Websites Dental Focus

Are Designer Dental Implants Really That Important?

You may be surprised to know that when it comes to dental implants, there are over 150 different types, although it’s fair to say that some are more well-known than others. Brands not only differ in terms of cost, but also in fitting and size and as a general rule of thumb, clinics tend to use their own favoured brand. This means that if you undergo treatment for a dental implant in Richmond, there is a good chance that they’ll be using a different make and model of implant than another clinic in say Manchester or Birmingham. However does this really matter?

In essence no! Whilst most specialists agree that it’s important to select the perfect implant to suit the needs and requirements of the patient; it’s also agreed that only in around 5% of cases is the success or failure of implants solely about the brand and type. The remaining 95% is down to a culmination of things including the skill and experience of the surgeon, your body’s rate of recovery and how well you maintain the implants once they’ve been fitted. That said, almost every dental implant surgeon will have their own preferred type of implant that they use. This is generally based on a number of criteria.

How easy they fit

Certain brands may well fit better in a patient than others. For example some titanium posts are fin shaped with a tapered point which is tapped into place rather than screwed in. Some surgeons prefer this method of attachment rather than the screw-in variety.

How well they are biocompatible

Every implant is said to be biocompatible and can help to bring about the osseointegration (bone fusion) process. However some titanium surfaces on the implants may be acid-etched or sand blasted to help the process along. As a result a clinic dealing in dental implants in Richmond may for example, prefer to use this type as they’ve experienced a higher success rate.

Material type

Whilst 99% of dental implants are made from titanium, manufacturers will use varying choices of titanium alloy from pure titanium, to titanium nitride and even a mix of titanium and zirconia. Again there is no particular type that’s proven to be better than the other, so it really is down to choice and preference.

Anyone looking to undergo surgery for dental implants in Richmond, should speak to Sheen Dental. We’ve been fitting dental implants successfully for many years and as such use a variety of makes and types to suit the needs of the patient. If you want to find out more about how the process works and how you can get your smile back for good, then contact us on 020 8876 5277 or visit the website at www.sheendental.co.uk to book your free, no obligation consultation.









8.00 am - 5.00 pm

8.00 am - 5.00 pm

8.00 am - 5.00 pm

8.00 am - 5.00 pm

8.00 am - 5.00 pm

9.00 am - 1.00 pm



Teddington Dental Practice

2 Gloucester Rd

Teddington TW11 0NU

  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • RSS


Fields with (*) are required.
Please contact us via this website or email without disclosing confidential information.


Dental Implant Teddington | Dental Implants Teddington | Sitemap
Copyright © Teddington Dental Practice. All rights reserved. | Cookie & Privacy Policy
Dental Implants Teddington
Authorised: DFW DFVO